Friday, November 21, 2008

return to beginnings : nov 2008







and so it begins again...
everyday is "day one/begin again"
and i
i am
home
a stranger in my own land
... (i do not look like the women here...
do not dress like them...
do not know their words)

and you would think that i would just remember
the language
that somehow hearing it would be a return to memory
or
familiarity
instead of the irony that i can say more in german than in my own native tongue

and yet
and yet
this is my mother's land
and i am keeping my eyes open for her

walking into the coffeeshop by su-yoon's
"cafe 22"
low table tops
coffee grounds in the ashtrays
hot water served as a complimentary drink
jet lag making my head swim

but i cant stop smiling

and all the things in minneapolis
that were plaguing me
are now
an ocean
a continent
away

and for the first time in months
i found myself on the bus from the airport to hap jeong station
for 15 minutes devoid of any thoughts that had to do with minneapolis
and i breathed a sigh of relief
as the river pulled us along

cover your mouth when you laugh
speak from behind your hand

i enjoy this kind of quiet excitement
no loud voices
just happy
curiousity

and i am home again
in the strangest of ways

i know
full well
that the past will make my present more palatable
but it does make my future that much
brighter

... i am returned
i am beginning once again

i am drinking warm water
my coffee finished
fully present

small yellow flowers in a wooden vase
are the texture of my
heart

1 comment:

Zorrito said...

ahh returning to your motherland. I just did a couple of months ago, from Long beach, CA to Merida, Yucatan MEXICO. which is far far far away from the border (near can-cun) so I feel you. its weird! its like you are home but you feel like a stranger, nothing (well except the food) makes you feel at home. the language, the people, and yes the women! god, why do mexicans have to be so freaking femme. and having tattoos its not cool here, but well, I guess its just adjusting time, THEY will adjust ;)
i feel like a tourist in my own city, which is good in some days because I appreciate the beauty and the culture more than when I used to live here.
Seoul is a pretty big city compared to where I live but I might move to Mexico city, but still, not speaking in english all the time is weird too.
oh homeland embrace me and bring me a cool woman. haha good luck to you. enjoy it, take pictures like crazy.
oh and this is Vanessa from Myspace. we never met but I liked your haircut
ciao